I frequently comment on legal matters within my areas of expertise. If you are a journalist or a producer and you are looking for a source on First Amendment law, intellectual property law, church-state issues, gaming law, or general legal matters, you may contact me through the form on this site, or call my office at 702-420-2001 or 305-791-2891.
Often I get inquiries that are beyond my expertise, or for subjects upon which another lawyer at my firm or elsewhere is more qualified to comment. I used to be a journalist, and I know how hard it is to nail down a good source. If I can help in that regard, I am more than pleased to do so.
Selected Prior Media Appearances (non exhaustive)
- Fox 35 Orlando, Kids can’t play outside condos, March 3, 2009. Story and video here.
- Fox 35 Orlando, Teacher to Blame Hormones, November 19, 2008. Story here and video here.
- Fox 35 Orlando, Target Mis-prices Car Seats, November 18, 2008.
- Fox News, Fox and Friends: The First Amendment and
the “Lyrical Terrorist”
November 10, 2007. video here (click “Art or Terror?” when you get there)
- Fox News, Fox and Friends: Discussing Bradenton High School “Body Painting” Issue
October 18, 2007. video here
- Fox News, Fox and Friends: Discussing Don Imus’ Comments about the Rutgers’ Basketball Team
April 10, 2007. video here
- CNBC: On the Money, Discussing online gambling and recent prosecutions
Jan. 16, 2007. video here
- Fox News, The Lineup: Video Games and the First Amendment
Sept. 30, 2006. video here
- Fox News, The Lineup: First Amendment and Prisons
Sept. 9, 2006. video here
- Fox News, Heartland with John Kasich: First Amendment Issues and Public Schools
Dec. 30, 2005. video here
- Fox News, Dayside: Commentary on Church-State Issues
Nov. 9, 2005. video here
- Fox News, Heartland with John Kasich: Commentary on Separation of Church and State
Oct. 15, 2005. video here
- Fox News, Live: Commentary and Debate on Online Vote Pairing Oct. 17, 2004. Video at the bottom of this post
- National Public Radio, Cyber Harassment and the Law, March 3, 2009
- Lisa Macci’s The Justice Hour: Discussing new Sex Laws and the theory of Intentional Sex Torts, July 14, 2008.
- The Curtis Sliwa Show, WABC, New York, discussing the Bauer v. Wikipedia defamation case, and Section 230. July 1, 2008.
- Lisa Macci’s The Justice Hour: Discussing the Connection Distribution case and Section 2257, May 5, 2008.
- Lisa Macci’s The Justice Hour: Discussing SLAPP suits and attorney ethics, July 2, 2007.
- Lisa Macci’s The Justice Hour: Discussing potential restrictions on web advertising for attorneys. January 22, 2007.
- Domain Masters: Discussing domain law, gaming law, and First Amendment law with Monte Cahn. Dec. 22, 2006.
- Bess Kargman, “Blogsuits” What Effect will Libel Threat Have on the Blogosphere?
- Bob Frantz Show: News/Talk 1370: Discussing Election Law Issues. Oct. 10, 2004.
- Web Site Barred From Quick Release of New Ratings, Wall Street Journal, March 18, 2009.
- Critics say bill denies some sexual freedom, Boston Globe, April 26, 2009
- Who’s to Blame for Bill O’Reilly Hack?, Datamation, Sept. 24, 2008.
- California seeks compensation for posting laws online, Washington Times, Sept. 15, 2008.
- Experts: SIUE shooting threat case will test First Amendment, St. Clair County Journal, September 10, 2008
- Juicy Campus Web site faces opposition from UF officials, Florida Alligator, August 7, 2008.
- Lawyers to name defendants in AutoAdmit case, Yale Daily News, July 31, 2008.
- Yale Students’ Lawsuit Unmasks Anonymous Trolls, Opens Pandora’s Box, WIRED, July 30, 2008.
- Oregon claims state law copyrighted, The Washington Times, April 19, 2008.
- Lawyers, artists the world over are captivated by case, Fort Myers News-Press, April 12, 2008.
- Operation MBI Shame, Orlando Weekly, October 18, 2007.
- Classic hustler caught in net scam, Las Vegas Sun, Sept. 12, 2007.
- SLAPP Happy, Orlando Weekly, Aug. 9, 2007.
- Towering Rage, Luxury condo developers up the ante with critics, Broward New Times, July 26, 2007.
- Case Dismissed, Bay Windows, July 12, 2007.
- Kink.com Appeals URL Deemed ‘Obscene’, XBiz World, July 2007 at 16.
- The F-Bomb, Orlando Weekly, June 7, 2007.
- Dredging opponent claims developer sent him intimidation letter, Naples News, April 20, 2007.
- Resident turns tables on developer with countersuit, Orlando Sentinel, April 7, 2007.
- Lawsuit Seeks to Block Blogger: Orlando Sentinel, Sep. 5, 2006.
- Morality Battle Carries On: Tampa Tribune, Aug. 17, 2006. (Article quotes from my comments at a Hillsborough Board of County Commissioners meeting – click here for full transcript of my comments).
- ‘Intelligent design’ case to undergo 2-pronged test: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Oct. 2, 2005.
- Plan for ‘Adult’ Store Draws Residents’ Fire: Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville) Jan. 8, 2005.
- Swap the Vote: Orlando Weekly, Oct. 24, 2004.
- I’ll Vote Nader If You Vote Kerry: East Bay Express (California), Sep. 29, 2004.
- BACK NEWS: Network World, Sep. 27, 2004.
- Kerry backers seek Nader vote exchange: Chattanooga Times Free Press (Tennessee), Sep. 22, 2004.
- Slimed Online, Conde Nast Portfolio, March 2009
- 22-Year-Old Sells Virginity Online — and Feds Can’t Do a Thing to Stop Her, FOX News Online, January 15, 2009.
- A Domain by Any Other Name…, AVN Online, December 1, 2008
- Absurd Links Lawsuit Could Unravel Web, Daily Online Examiner, October 7, 2008
- Woman Sentenced for Web Site With ‘obscene’ Stories, PC World, August 7, 2008
- 3rd Circuit won’t create new category of unprotected speech, Freedom Forum First Amendment Center, August 1, 2008
- Supreme’s Nod to Guns Could be a Boon to Free Speech, XBiz, July 1, 2008.
- US Law Aims to Catch Up With Tech – and Misses, eCommerce Times, June 23, 2008.
- Kink.com Appeals URL Deemed ‘Obscene’, XBiz, June 11, 2007.
- Patent Office Refuses Porn Site Trademark Due To ‘Obscenity’, AVNOnline, June 11, 2007.
- Microsoft Sues Cybersquatters, Raises Awareness, Xbiz, March 14, 2007.
- Legal Experts Look Closely at New 2257 Regs, Xbiz, May 25, 2005.
Publications (non exhaustive)
- The Other Election Controversy of Y2K: Core First Amendment Values and High-Tech Political Coalitions
82 Washington University Law Quarterly 143 (2004).
- Getting to Yes With Terrorists
Michigan State Law Review
2002 L. Rev. Mich. St. U. Det. C.L. 823.
- The Constitutionality of Online Vote Swapping
34 Loyola L.A. L. Rev. 1297 (2001).
- Condo Casino! Gambling in Florida Community Associations
79 Fla. Bar J. 8 (2005).
- The Florida Supreme Court Dulls the Edge of Rule 1.420(e)
80 Fla. Bar J. 39 (2006).
- The Legal Status of Gambling in America’s Senior Communities, 8 Marquette Elder Law Advisor 343 (2007) (co-authored with Daniel Russell)
- Copyright Issues for Free Fall Photographers – Skydiving Magazine
- Copyright and the Clubhouse– Condo Management.
- Commentary for Congress – Adult Video News.
- How to Handle a 2257 Inspection (produced in conjunction with Lawrence G. Walters and Clyde F. DeWitt).
- 2257 Regs a Boon to Patriotic Adult Film Producers– AVN Online..
- Foreign Content and Section 2257– XBiz.
- Republicans Save US Jobs (unwittingly)– XBiz.
- Character Counts: Defamation Law for Community Associations– Community Update.
- Neither is a Fish or a Bird (the Prisco Decision)– 25 Actionline 4 (2003).